Help! I Received a Water Rights Adjudication Summons!

The Utah Division of Water Rights has been sending out letters to property owners in many areas of the state asking about water rights. A lot of people have been confused by these letters.

For most people: Do nothing!

Most people don’t own individual water rights; they get water from a water utility (like WaterPro), which owns the rights. If that applies to you, you can just ignore the letter.

How do you know if you have a water right?

Most people who have individual water rights are aware of them because they maintain a well, ditch, head gate, or spring box in order to use the water associated with that right.

If you’re not sure if you have a water right, you can call the Division of Water Rights at 801-538-5282 and they can help you.

To learn more, including how to respond to the summons if you have a water right, start by watching a 4-minute video at The Division of Water Rights will also be glad to help.